Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Simplicity 2516 or The Flatlock Seam Skirt

Our sewing guild's Fashion Designers neighborhood group met at our local Bernina dealer for a demo on exposed zippers.  That was neat, but I really loved this skirt that was made using a flatlock seam.  So, using Simplicity 2516 which I made last year, I attempted to make my own. 



This is my first try--the only modification is changing the waist from a zipper to elastic.  I adjusted mine a bit much so the skirt is a little on the big side...but I still love it!  This fabric has been moldering in my stash for years so I figured I didn't have anything to lose (and I still have quite a bit left). 


The hardest part when serging a flatlock seam is to remember to pin your fabric WRONG sides together...



I tested and tested on my serger prior to serging the real fabric.  I guess there's such a thing as over testing, since I had a real problem with my second skirt seam.  Oops.  It all turned out fine though.  Whew.

 

Skirt all serged and ready to hem.




Ta Da!  Doesn't it flair nicely along the hem?






Close up shot of the flatlock seam--I used a flatlock 3 thread with YLI brand Pearl Rayon Crown thread in the lower looper.  It's a bit heavy perhaps for this lightweight cotton skirt, but I also think that the flatlock stitch is supposed to stand out on a project like this.


Hem:  I serged an overlock 3 thread making this one of the easiest and quickest skirts ever.


See the cat?  Annoying critter (I knew my kids would like that comment!!!)

I have plans to serge one more skirt in a linen/cotton blend fabric that I got from Les Fabriques this year.  Since I didn't line this skirt and don't plan to line the next one, I'm going to serge a slip using cotton batiste and the 3 thread overlock in regular serger thread to wear with them.  Easy summer sewing and wearing!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this - especially the easy peasy hem! so glad I found you -I'm your newest follower!

MushyWear said...

Very pretty skirt and the flat locked seams look great!

Cindi said...

I love the look of that skirt! I can't wait to see the second one.

Unknown said...

Such a cool idea for a hot summer !!!

You look amazing !

xoxo

Margo

www.fichiers-de-france.com