Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Simplicity 2516 (skirt) Day 4

Today was the day to start stitching everything together.  Sewing all the seams together was time consuming.  At first, I thought I would sew them using a straight stitch and then serge finish the edges, because of how slippery the fabric was.  However, I wasn't happy with how the serger stitching looked when I ran samples, so I figured I would just leave the edges raw.  That's kind of different for me since I typically finish each and every seam!

This was a super easy skirt to sew except for one thing--I planned to put in an invisible zipper and forgot to plan for that!  Oops.  And, once I realized my error, I still didn't think it through so that I unpicked the entire seam for both the lining and the skirt.  I guess it was the lining that really caused the issue--for some reason, I thought I could stitch the zipper to both the skirt and the lining at the same time.  By the time I realized that it would be a problem, I had finished the waist and there was no way I was going to redo all that mess.

So, I decided to sleep on it and do a faux hem on the skirt saving the lining for the last day. 

So, for today I got everything completed about the skirt except for the zipper problem and hemming the lining.

Again, sorry for the lack of pictures.

No comments: