I used fabrics purchased from Sew It Up. They have really cute kits on their website, so I ordered this from them, minus the pattern because I had similar ones already. At this point I cannot remember what patterns they suggested?
The top is a straightforward sew, but I still dislike the floppy waist. On this version I ran 3 columns of stitching down it to hold the gathers in place. The seersucker, if it was a plain cotton or a poly/cotton blend, would've behaved nicely. As it was the seersucker was a cotton/lycra blend so it had a little "sproing" about it. The gathers aren't as nice as I might have wished, but they aren't terrible either (unless I point them out to you!).
The bubble fabric in contrast to the seersucker is an ultra crispy densely woven 100% cotton--rather nice. Both fabrics are something I never would've found around here. It was a case where it was really nice to have bought a kit. I had plenty of fabric to work with or around since I did line the upper bodice with some plain white batiste. The kit should've been made up a few years ago...in which case the slight fabric improvisation would not have been necessary. On the other hand, the bubbles might've shown through so I probably would've done the same thing.
Here are some pictures of the outfit in action during our sewing guild's first ever sewing camp!
|Working on lounge pants.|
|Terrible posture...but the back does hang very nicely.|
Edited to add a photo with her standing up straight for a back view!
After I made the lavender set, I noticed that dd's could use some adjustments. My other dd never needed any adjustments, and I suppose since it's been awhile since I've sewed for this dd I just didn't think about it. For the pants, I had to scoop out the back then add the same to the crotch seam. I also added some height to the top of the back pants--she has a huge problem with pants/jeans sliding down when she bends or sits. Rather frustrating for us both. This adjustment (which I should've photographed) seems to have worked really well for her.
The rest of this summer has largely been spent sewing for me! Yay! More later.