Friday, September 9, 2011

Simplicity 5364--Cinderella Pajamas

Before oldest dd went away to college (go Hokies!), the girls decided they wanted matching pj's.  Off to Joann's we went and they chose a pretty Cinderella print.  Oldest dd only wanted shorts for hers and purchased a plain white t-shirt to go with them.  Unfortunately, I forgot to get a picture of her before she left.  She sewed her shorts herself and I even let her use my serger after her fiasco with the swim suit and the serger.  I think she really likes the serger.

However, I do have pictures of her little sister modeling her completed pj set.  The original deal was that she would sew up her own pajamas, but when it came time to do this she did not want to.  I used Simplicity 5364 (oop) for the bottoms for both sets, but I made up my own pattern for this top.  I used a basic yoke pattern and a large gathered rectangle of fabric for the rest with the armholes cut out and bound. 

Pardon the wrinkles.  We aren't big on ironing our pajamas!

For closure, I did a simple button up the back just because this child loves her bedtime stories so there is always someone to assist her with getting on her jammies.

I seem to sew a lot of pj's.  And I have more pj bottoms to sew.  Not to be left out of the Joann's expedition, the guys chose some fabric so they could have some summer ones, too.  Sadly, the summer is pretty much all gone, but we'll see if I can't get them done soon so they can get a little wear out of them or they will be ready for next year! 

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Simplicity 2516 (skirt)--complete!

Today's sewing went smoothly which was a surprise.  I fixed the lining issue where I inserted the zipper by resewing the seam so that it faces to the inside.  It isn't as nice as the rest of it, but no one else will know.  Since the lining is slippery and frays some, I thought I would try Steam A Seam to hold the hem in place.  That stuff works well, but sure is annoying to place and get to stay put.  After all that on both the lining and fashion fabric, I didn't feel like stitching the hem, too.  So, I have a "cheat" hem!  But, I think it looks fine and I can always change my mind and go back and stitch it later!

Here's the finished skirt:

And, since writing this post I've worn the skirt a few times.  I really like it!  I've even looked through the stash to see what other fabric I could use to make it again, but nothing struck me.  Oh well.  I do not want to buy more fabric and have another project staring at me so I will just enjoy this skirt for now. 

Tonight was the due date for our Ugly Fabric Challenge.  I did not win anything :(   The ladies who did win were very creative and it was a lot of fun to see what everyone sewed and who got my ugly fabric.  This skirt was a win for my wardrobe though, so I'm happy :)